Your Local Physio in Parramatta
Visit our Location
12 Ada St, Harris Park 2150
Send us a Message
[email protected]
Opening Hours
Mon - Fri: 8 am - 7 pm

Certificate of Capacity

Physiotherapy Professionals Parramatta 12 Ada Street Harris Park NSW 2150
Physiotherapy Professionals Parramatta 12 Ada Street Harris Park NSW 2150

Certificate of Capacity

If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident and have lodged a CTP Claim or if you have had an injury at work and have lodged a WorkCover claim, one of the first things you need to do is obtain a certificate of capacity from your GP. This is one of the most important documents in your CTP and WorkCover claims as it sets the rules of what you can and can’t do. This documents can only be provided by your GP. Your GP will use their medical knowledge and rely on experts such as Specialists, scan results and Physiotherapy reports when filling in information on the certificate of capacity. The  certificate of capacity needs to outline your physical and psychological injuries sustained, along with any treatment needs including radiological investigations.

What is it?

In NSW, the medical certificate pertaining to a WorkCover or CTP claim is known as a Certificate of Capacity or Certificate of Fitness.  Most GP’s and hospitals have copies of the certificate, however its worth remembering that you can also obtain a copy from the State Insurance Regulatory Authority website (SIRA). It is important that you see your General Practitioner within 12 weeks of a motor vehicle accident to get a medical certificate which details your treatment needs and time absent from work.

While obtaining a certificate of capacity may seem like an inconvenience, it is actually a crucial part of your claim. Without it, the CTP or WorkCover insurer is unable to determine whether you can return to work, what your rehabilitation needs are and how your injury recovery is progressing.

Certificate of Capacity for CTP Claims:

You need to provide the CTP insurer with a certificate of capacity outlining your injuries, disabilities and capacity for work. The CTP insurer will need your initial certificate of capacity at the time the claim is submitted.  The claim form is also known as an ‘Application for Personal Injury Benefits’. The CTP insurer will require an updated medical certificate every 28 days to consider how your rehabilitation is progressing.  In some circumstances where injuries are severe the timeframe for repeat medical certificates can be limited to every 3 months. Failure to provide the CTP insurer with certificate of capacity may result in your statutory benefits being suspended.

Who completes the Certificate of Capacity?

In most circumstances your General Practitioner (GP) will complete the medical certificate. Your General Practitioner will diagnose your injuries, outline the treatment required and comment on whether you are fit to return to work. This process is continually undertaken throughout the duration of your CTP claim. A common mistake frequently made when obtaining a certificate of capacity is only reporting your most serious injuries. The certificate of capacity should outline all injury sustained in the accident. It is important the insurer knows about every injury so that they can create a rehabilitation plan unique to your particular circumstances.

Contact Us:

Do you need assistance with your Physiotherapy treatment? Experienced team of Physiotherapists with essential knowledge. You can call us anytime to have a confidential discussion with our expert Physiotherapists. For more information on how we can further assist you, please call our clinic number on 0479 080 800  or send us an email on [email protected] for further details. Our Physiotherapists are Medicare, NDIS, and Work Cover approved, specialising in injury management and rehabilitation to get you back on track.

Team Physiotherapy Parramatta
Team Physiotherapy Parramatta – 12 Ada Street Harris Park

Book an appointment

Work injury Treatment

Car Accident Physiotherapy

Physiotherapy After A Car Accident

Motor Vehicle Accident Claims

Workplace Injury and Rehabilitation

Workplace Accidents

Injury Case Management